Re: What is a billion dollars anyway?

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 24, 1999

Ramanbil@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/17/1999 4:33:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mani@be.com
> writes:
>
> << On this specific point: I have never been to a divya desam
>  where members of one kalai was "not permitted" to join the gOshti.
>  In Srirangam specifically, while wearing Vadagalai thirumaN
>  in 1996, I was invited by a gOshti-kArar to sit and join them
>  during nityAnusandhAnam recitation in front of Emberumaanaar's
>  sannidhi.  In Tiruvallikkeni, which is as stauch a Thengalai
>  kOvil as exists in India, I regularly participate in the gOshti
>  with my Vadagalai thirumaN, and no one has taken any issue. >>
>
> Sri Mani's is lucky in having a different experience. I have seen with my own
> eyes how during Panguni Uthram day, Sri Anantha narasimhachariar
> (ex-principal of SIT Trichy) was physically manhandled and driven out with
> harsh words when he attempted to join the Goshti in reciting the Gadhyam by
> some of the tenkalai people. I have myself referred to this incident earlier
> in connection with the discussions on the unity issue.

srImathE rAmAnujAya namaha

The above occurence quoted by Sri. Anbil svAmi is quite normal
in temples of either kalai - For example, in oppiliappan
kOvil, it will be a miracle if a thenkalai is even permitted
to join the gOshti (let alone recite prabhandham as part
of the gOshti - adiyEn has personally experienced this). The
same will hold true for ArAvamudhan sannadhi, and to a slightly
greater extent in thiruvahIndrapuram. Even in kAnchipuram, where
adiyEn grew up and most of the people know me, adiyEn was thrown
out of the vEda pArAyaNa gOshti recently! And all adiyEn was trying
to do was to try to get a recording of the vEda pArAyaNa gOshti
(which, by the way adiyEn thinks is the best vEda gOshti among all
the divya dEsams - so is the prabhandham gOshti). {adiyEn was
allowed to have a recording of the gOshti the next day - just a
young hotheaded srIvaishNava created some trouble - not a reflection
on the gOshti/elders}.

On the surface, it seems to be a vadakalai-thenkalai issue because of
our own biases. But, the fact is that in most of the temples, there are
rights held by srIvaishNavAs belonging to certain families to recite
gadyams etc.. during special occasions. Especially on panguni uttiram
day is srIrangam!!. The problems occur when we misunderstand and DEMAND
the right to be part of the gOshti & jump to conclusions that it
might be a vadakalai/thenkalai issue. We also have to ensure
that we respect the sampradAyam of the temple. adiyEn has personally
seen people  trying to recite a different thaniyan than the gOshti.
Or worse, a group of people reciting dEsika prabhandham IN the gOshti
when the gOshti is reciting upadEsa rattinamaalai as the traditions
call for in that temple. Or folks in the gOshti not reciting
the thaniyan or vAzhi thirunAmam for maNaVaLa mAmunigaL, but reciting
everything else in the gOshti & demanding to be a part of the gOshti,
AND abruptly leaving the gOshti when the vAzhi thirunAmam is recited.
Now, these folks are asking for trouble. Obviously, they will be
requested to leave the gOshti.

The above comments are not meant to disrespect anyone, but adiyEn
wants to make sure that we understand the reasons behind such
"incidents".

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan,
Thirumalai Anandanpillai Varadhan