Re: Clarification on MaNavaaLa maamuni?

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 25, 1998

Sri Madhavakannan wrote:
> Immediately, he said " Do you know? ManavaaLa maamuni was the cousin of
> H.H AdhivaN SadagOpa Jeer (The First jeer of Ahobila Mutt which was
> established by him) and it was ManavaaLa maamuni who gave kaashaayam to
> the Jeer. Due to lack of time, I did not probe further.
[...]

> Nor did I doubt my father's statement. he must have heard from someone
> or read it at Srirangam. I am any way going to ask him. But does any
> member have any info on this?

Varadhan can clarify, but it is actually the other way around.
maNavALa mAmuni took sannyAsa dIksha from Adi vaN SaThakOpa jIyar
at the command of Lord Ranganatha.

Even though Sri SaThakOpa jIyar was much younger than mAmuni,
he had taken sannyAsa dIksha very early in life, since he never
married.  At the time that mAmunigaL desired to take this stage
of life, SaThakOpa jIyar was undoubtedly one of the most eminent
sannyAsis around, which is why mAmunigaL took dIksha from him.

I have not heard that mAmunigaL and SaThakOpa jIyar were related
in their pUrvASramas.

Mani