Re: Pancha Sooktham recitation

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 10, 1998

Dear Sri Mani Varadarajan :

In Ahobila Mutt SampradhAyam ( Sri Sannidhi ) ,
Talikai is presented and is followed by
KarpUra Haaratthi . Then follows Vedam , PurANams,
Divya Prabhandham as SaaRRumurai Kramam .
NaarAyaNOpanishad has a place here in the section
on Atharva vedam .It is recited without svarams .
After that Apasthampa Gruhya Suthram , Srimadh
RaamAyaNam passage ,Vishnu PurANam , Srimadh Bhagavadh
GitA , Srimadh BhAgavahtam , AhObila MahAthmyam,
ALavandhAr sthOthram , Sri BhAshyam , Sri GithArtha Sangraham ,
Sri Gita Bhaashyam, Sri Rahasya Thraya Saaram ,
PaadhukhA Sahsram excerpt , Yathi Raaja sapthathi ,
Sapth aRathna MaalikA , Srimadh Adhi VaNN SatakOpa
YathIndhra Vaibhava chandrikA , SampradhAya Prakasam
and then sevai , SambhAvanAs .

The AtharvaNa Vedam portion with svaram is :
sannO dEvIrabhishtaya ---sravanthuna:

NaarAyaNOpanishad follows .Aapasthampa Gruhya
SUthram  is the next one in that order .

V.Sadagopan

At 10:06 AM 9/9/98 -0700, you wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 06:49:37AM -0700, muralidhar rangaswamy wrote:
>> It is absolutely not true that the Narayana Upanishad has no place
>> in temple rituals. Such authoritative statements without facts to
>> back them up are at best misleading.
>
>Murali,
>
>My apologies if I was mistaken in my statement.
>Can you clarify where the nArAyaNa upanishad is
>in regular use in temple ritual?
>Mani

It is covered in the above section .

>My impression was that other than in the
>"mantra pushpam", Vedic recitation in Vaishnava temples
>is almost exclusively from the Yajur Veda.  Pancaratra
>temple priests are generally required to be from Yajur Veda.
>Mani

The reason why the Vedic recitation in (South Indian)
VaishNavite Temples is in Yajur Vedam is because of
the dominance of Yajur Vedam in Tamil Naadu and
Andhra PradEsh . Rg Vedam and Saama Vedam is not
that prevalent compared to Yajus SaakhA in south .
Yajur Vedam is also tied with the rituals .
Ideally , you would see the use of Rg Vedam on
the banks of river Narmadaa and Atharva Vedam in the North .
There  are detailed mapping of the prevalence of
individula saakhAs in different parts of India
and their influence on the local languages .
The VaikAnasA preists also follow the Yajur Vedic
tradition in their worships .

This is an interesting topic . I wrote a 64 page article
on Veda SaakhAs and related matter in Tamil few
years ago .That was read by prakrutham (Current )
Azhagiyasingar in his purvAsramam .I gave another
copy to Sri Murali Rangaswami . Research on Vedams
and Vedic topics is a wonderfully engaging activity
for us .
V.Sadagopan