Re: paramanin aruL-arunagiri nadar.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 7, 1998

Dear Sri NarAyaNan KazhiyUr ;

As a part of my general studies on all
siddhanthams that are relevant to appreciate
the greatness of Sri VisishtAdvaitham , I have read
extensively the works of Saiva NaayanmArs and
SekkizhAr as well as all the siddhars including
Raamalingha SwamigaL , who composed a
moving poem on ThiruveLLUr Sri VeerarAghavan .

AruNagirinAthar's brilliant works including
Thiruppukazh known for its literary excellence
and TaaLa intricacies are a class by
themselves , when it comes to anubhavam of
a ShaNmugha Bhaktha. He paid ample tributes
to the uncle of ShaNmughan , Sri MahA VishNu .
Many of his poems end with the address ," PerumALE ".
He was originally from a Bengali family ,
who settled down in Tamil Naadu and became
adept at composition and filled with Bhakthi
after he was saved by Murughan , when
he (the despondent Arunagiri) threw himself from
the temple power at ThiruvaNNAmalai .
Until then , he had run after women and
led a life chasing siRRibham .
Murughan blessed the bhakthan with
His ShadAkashara manthram and gave him
the power of composition and sangItha JnAnam
and opened his eyes to pErinbham .

The Thiruppadi sevai at ThirutthaNi is
the place to be on a new year's day for
ShaNmugha BhakthAs and the students of
AruNagiri Naathar's Thiruppukazh , his
major work .In the past , a great bhakthA
by the name of "THiruppukazh MaNi" led
the BhakthAs step by step up the hill
to the temple of ThiruthtaNi Murughan
and on eaxh step sang one Thiruppaukazh
to the accompaniment of hand cymabals
and TaaLam . Kandar Alankaaram ,
Kandar AnubhUthi et al are his
other beautiful works drenched in
Bhakthi for his UpAsanA mUrthy .

The chantham in AruNagiri Nathar's
Thiruppukazh is some what similar to
the chantham in the Thirucchantha Viruttham of
Thirumazhisai AzhwAr . This AzhwAr
was once a SivA worshipper and gave it up
to become the Parama BhakthA of Sriman NaarAyaNA .
He explains the hierarchy of the lineage
of MahA VishNu in his great work ,
Naan mukhan ThiruvanthAdhi and recognizes
and salutes Him as THE GRAND SIRE .Swami Desikan's
Chanthams ( rhythmic structure rooted in TaaLam)
as evidenced  in his Desika Prabhandham
works are THE most moving and is a proof
of his Sarva Tanthra Swathanthravam
with the layaa ( TaaLam ) aspects .

Among the 63 NaayanmArs , the four ,
Appar , Sambhandar , Sundarar and
MaaNickka Vaachakar are the most well known
and their works were recovered from Chidamabharam
after many years of being lost . White ants had eaten
quite a bit of the palm leaves and whatever was left
were codified by a great VinAyaka BhakthA and
are available today to us . Like Prabhandha
GhOshti on Divya Prabhandham ,the OduvArs GhOshti sing
these beautiful ThevAra Pathikams set to ancient
PaNNs in uthsavams at great Saivite Temples
such as Lord NatarAjA at Chidambharam , ThiruvArUr
et al . They are moving to hear as recited by
the strictly trained OdhuvArs trained in classic
centers like Dharmapuram in ChOLa nAdu .The sound
of hand cymbals beating rhythym is most appealing .

Among the 4 NaayanmArs referred to above ,
Sambhandhar of SeerkAzhi and Appar  were
contemproariries  of Thirumangai . Our
Thirumangai AzhwAr coming from a small village
close to SeerkhAzhi( ThirukkurayalUr) defeated Sambhandhar ,
the teen ager in a poetic contest and gained the
title of Naalu Kavi Pulavar. Sambhandhar lived only
for 16 years and is said to have to taken his
parents and friends with their bodies to KailAsam
at the end of his earthly existence. Appar was a grand
old man and was a convert from Jainism by his devout Sister
into Saivism . He is affectionaltely hailed as
ThirunAvukkarasar or the King of the scared tongue.

MaaNiccka Vaachakar was like the Rama Bhakthar ,
BhadrAchala Raama Das in that he diverted the King's
money for God's service and was saved by the Lord
in his time of travail , when the angry king was ready
to punish him .MaaNickka Vaachakar's ThiruvAchakam
is a beautiful set of poems in Tamil literature
dealing with Bhakthi , but he has some Veera saivam
aspect sneaking in some of these pathikams
that mars this spirit of the total effect .
His ThiruvempAvai has some similiarity to
ThiruppAvai except that the girls who are
being awakened in the early morning of
Margazhi are asking for the blessing
of having husbands , who are Siva BhakthAs .
ANDAL on the other hand asked for the Nithya
Kaimkaryam to Sriman NaarAyaNA and Him alone
in her ThiruppAvai .

Sri VaishNavAs know Lord SivA as a great
BhakthA of His grandfather, Sriman NaarAyaNA
and the author of Manthra Raaja Padha Sthothram on
Lord Narasimhan . The worship of SivA
reaches our Lord NaarAyaNaa as indicated by the story
in MahA Bharatham , where ArjunA's Siva Pujai
ends up at the feet of Lord KrishNA .

The Saivite NaayanmArs are fond of LingOthbhavar
story to establish the superiority of their
Ishta Dhaivam . But the source of that incident
is from Siva PurANams and it is not corroborated
elsewhere .Some of the sthala purANams of
VaishNavite Divya Desams relate to this incident ,
when they celebrate Sriman NaarAyaNA as
Hara Saapa Vimochanan . Haran ( Sivan ) had
the curse from His father , BrahmA for plucking
one of His five heads in anger for lying . The kapaalam
stuck to the palm of the Kapaali and Brahma Hatthi dhOsham
resulted from such an act . At ThirukkaNdiyUr
divya desam , Sriman NaarAyaNA filled the kapaalam
stuck to the hand of His grandson with His own blood
and that led to the Kapaalam getting detatched from
the hand of Sivan (Haran ) and the Saapam (curse )
was removed ( vimOchanam).

Lord SivA's salutation to Sri VishNu in
Sri VishNu Sahasra Naamam ( Sahasra naama
tatthulyam Raama Naama varAnanE ) is the ancient
PramANam . Adhi SankarA elcted to write commentary
for Sri VishNu sahasra naamam .

You are absolutely correct in your assessment
that the NayanmArs are not "Advaithins" , but
SaguNa Brahma UpAsakars of Lord SivA with
great Bhakthi .

Hope these comments provide additional perspective ,

V.Sadagopan