Re: chitranchiru kaale!!

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 19, 2002

Dear all.,

granted tiruppavai was not scripted during the time.
But, lateron we have several publications (over the past
centuries)., all of them uniformly (edited by scholars)
have the ! punctuation.

And both in sanskrit and tamil grammar the bhAvam -
vilithal or azhaithal or koovuthal is well known. the
concept is very much there - as an inherent part of
origin of a language and its development
(may be the denoting sign -!- was not in general use).

(Sanskrit: hey rAma! hey rAmou! hey rAmaah! etc.. in the
rAma sabdha - table; the first lesson in sankrit)

and thiruvadi - usually refers to a pair., but
I am not sure if kaale can imply a pair.

also if one looks in combination with Nachiar thirumozhi,
the immediate continuation of thiruppavai -

velvaraippadhan munnam thurai padindhu (Nachiar thirumozhi 1.2)

velvaraippadhan munnam - before dawn - which is also
chitranchiru kaalai pozuthu.

so, the meaning should not be taken out of context - that
is margazhi paavai nonbu.

kaale, as leg, may be a grammatically acceptable meaning,
but is not apt and is out of context.

hope it is convincing enough..

- arulmari.