Was Vedanta Desika a disciple of a Kanchi Sankaracharya?

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 19, 2001

Dear Friends,

While I was surfing the Net recently, I came across an odd
article on the Web site of the Kanchi Kamakoti Matha. The
page purports to be a history of the peetha, but I noticed
several glaring factual errors, including the date of
Adi Sankaracharya himself (they are off by nearly 1000 years).
This aside, what really surprised me was the following paragraph:

  The 51st preceptor, Sri Vidyateertha (1247 - 1297 A.D) was
  an erudite scholar. Saayana, commentator of the Vedas,
  Madhavacharya (Vidyaranya after becoming an ascetic),
  Bharati Krishna Teertha (of Sringeri Math), Vedanta Desika
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  and Sankarananda of Kanchi Sankara Math were prominent among
  Vidya Teeertha's disciples.

(see http://www.kamakoti.org/peeth/aboutpeetham.html)

The strange thing is that the undisputed records of the
*Sringeri* matha in Karnataka have Vidyatirtha as its
presiding acharya, making it highly unlikely that this
Swami was resident in Kanchi during Desika's youth,
which is when the Advaita Swami was alive. Purely out of
geographical considerations this should rule out any
possibility that Desika would have learnt from this Advaita
scholar.

Even otherwise, it is unlikely Sri Desika would have ever
have been a disciple in any real sense of Sri Vidyatirtha
or any other Advaita sannyasi.  Desika never mentions
an association with such a person, and I do not know of
any third-party record which documents a teacher-student
relationship between the two.  Desika writes very clearly
that he learnt everything from his maternal uncle
Sri Atreya Ramanujacharya.  Sri Desika also felt strongly
about certain issues of achara and anushthaana (conduct
and practice) which in all likelihood would preclude
his learning from an Advaita sannyasi.

With all this in mind, I wrote a polite note to the
authors of the Kanchi Kamakoti Web site in the hope
that they would correct this error:

  Date: August 21, 2001
  From: Mani Varadarajan

  Dear Sirs,

  On one of your web pages it has been written that
  Sri Vedanta Desika, the great scholar of the 14th
  century, was a disciple of one Vidyateertha Swami,
  who is said to have adorned the Kanchi Peetham.

  This has no historical evidence and could not be
  further from the truth. Sri Vedanta Desika was a devout
  follower of Bhagavad Ramanuja and had no need to
  study anything at the feet of an Advaita sannyasi.
  In fact, Sri Desika criticizes the achara and anushthaana
  of the ekadandi Advaiti sannyasis as being against the
  smritis (see the Satadushani of Swami Desika).  This should
  make it clear that Sri Desika would not have studied
  shastras with an Advaita pandita.

  Please make this correction as soon as possible as it
  spreads misinformation among unassuming visitors.

  Thanking you,
  ramanuja dasa,
  Mani

  -0-0-0-

I did not receive a reply for over a month so I had forgotten
I had sent this email. To my surprise, this morning I received
a caustic reply to my request which I have appended below.
I know that the current Kanchi Kamakoti matha and acharyas are
no friends of the Vaishnava community -- indeed, even the most
softspoken of Sri Vaishnava acharyas speak with sadness about how
some of the higher-ups in the matha abuse Perumaal Himself -- but
this sort of reply to my note was really unexpected: