RE: Return to Home Base

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 17, 2001

Dear fellow members:

adiyEn was not aware of Sri Sadagopan's worksite being
in the vicinity of the WTC buildings in lower Manhattan.
Upon finding out right now therefore, I am extremely
relieved that the fanatical actions of some madmen did
not bring any harm to one of our sampradAyam's most
precious followers in this hemisphere - Sri Sadagopan.

It is my firm belief that it is the very lord of thiru
viNNagar who has protected Sri Sadagopan...

All said and done, we must realize that such barbaric
actions are little different than what SriVaishnavam
itself has experienced, almost seven centuries earlier
during Malik Kafur's rout of Srirangam (1327 CE).  The
number of pilgrims who perished at the hands of the
marauders on that dark day, is estimated to be as high
as twelve thousand - by some accounts.

It is not any different now.  Back then the barbarians
were trying to *get from* wealthy land; now they're
trying to *get back at* a wealthy land.  Many of us
weep now, in sorrow over what we behold as the ultimate
act of terror - yet this very act pales in comparison
with the innumerable atrocities committed in the name
of religion by various fanatics during the last one
millennium.  In this sense the United States is still
an infant nation, one that has yet to grow up through
battle scars that vandals who don't share its view of
the world can inflict upon its people.

The country of our origin - bhArata varsha, has seen
it all and more.  It stands today, a pale shadow of
its ancient glory (at the time of the United States'
formation the Indian subcontinent had the highest
per capita wealth on this planet), whose scattered
descendants all over the world cling to memories of
this past - now found only in history's archives.

May perumAL grant all living beings, a complete and
never-ending redemption from the evil of butchery
that is carried out in the name of religion.

adiyEn
-Srinath C.