Depicting of 'tirumaN-kAppu'.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 12, 2001

Dear SriVaishnavas,
Sri T. Sundara Rajan, KM Narayanan et al seem to opine from a side that does
not speak for the whole Sri Vaishnava community.
Less Euphuism, I'll get to the point straight!

If Sri Madhava Kannan or someone else tried to change("revert"?) the
ThirumaN in the photograph now, shouldnt it be considered sinful?? It is
again against the prevelant norms. If you know someone that was responsible
for making this change in the 1st place then that's a different issue.

 > >The 'AkAram' (graphic form) of the tirumaN-kAppu is important  for
>its place in the 'Agamam/purANam/history' and the symbolism of
> >philosophical message.

Whether we like it or not, we need to recognize there's some diversity in
our Sapmradayam.
The ThirumaN-kappu is important for the arCa thirumEni agreed! Atleast one
should be happy that the  tirumaN-kAppu *is* there as per the agamas.
But then just because one particular sect has had control over a temple for
some years does not validate or attest the authenticity of the TirumaN.
History of this sort has always been rewritten every twenty years.

Now if we need to reform things and "preserve" status quo where do we begin?
Triplicane?? Try to convince people there that Swamy DEsikan actually sports
a vadakalai naamam everywhere else and that forcing a nammam on his
ArchA-thirumeni doesnt change a thing..?

And lastly, we were really blessed by Sri Velukkudi Swami's visit to the US
and Sri Sampath Kumar must realize he must continue to focus on general
unification to receive patronage from both Kalaiyars to sustain this
Sampradaayam be it in the Gulf or in the US and not harp on such
controversial issues. None of us seem to have the capability to reconcile
the two kalais. Let us in the meanwhile atleast try to recognise the
differences and respect each other there, as we are and *carry on in our
services*.

I promise you all I will write no more on this matter.

RAmanujasya CharaNau sharaNam prapadhyE!