Re: Dispute about the God at Tirumala

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 1, 2001

Sri U Ve T A Krishnamachariar swami of Tirupati, has written book by
name "Thiruvenkata malai varalAtru mAlai" with regards to this issue.
It is an excellent reference book published by TTD and all the
younger generation of srivaishnava should have a copy of the same in
order to understand the pains taken by Sri Ramnujar in establishing
the deity at Tirumala.

AzhwAr EmperumAnAr jEyar thiruvadigalE saranam

adiyen srivaishnava dasan
sampathkumar
--- In bhakti-list@y..., "D Bala Sundaram"  wrote:
> We are aware of the dispute raised about the God at Tirumala and
the role played by Swami Ramanuja in establishing it as the archa of
Sriman Narayana. I am intrigued about this dispute.

> The Tamil kappiyam Silappathikaram mentions  Tirumala as a temple
of Thirumal. There are copius references to the temple in Nalayira
Divya Prabhandam. Surely those who raised the dispute shoud be aware
of these references during Swami Ramanuja's time. Are there any
references in other literature to the contrary?

> Is the claim of those who dispute rests only on the iconograhic
details?

> I am also intrigued by another remark attributed to famous Tamil
scholar Mahavidwan Tirisirapuram Meenakshisundaram Pillai who also
claimed that the god at Tirumala was Sri Subramanya. This remark is
in the biography of Sri U Ve Swaminatha Iyer, "En Charitram". I am
sure that Sri Pillai was aware of the references in Silappathikaram
and Prabandham.