You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : September 2000

Re: Doubts on Yajur Veda.

From: Mani Varadarajan (mani_at_alum.calberkeley.org)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 12:28:08 PDT

In addition to Sri Chandrasekharan's excellent synopsis of
the mythology behind the two yajur vedas, we can also
surmise the reasoning behind the names 'Sukla' or white
and 'kRshNa' or dark.  The 'Sukla' yajur veda samhita,
also known as the vAjasaneyaka samhita, is composed purely of
verses. In other words, it is purely metrical.

The kRshNa yajur veda or taittirIya samhita, on the other hand,
has prose and poetry intermixed. For this reason, it is also
significantly longer.

Since the vAjasaneyaka samhita is purely metrical, it is
inferred that this is why it is called 'white', and the
'mixed' taittirIya is considered 'black'.  Another reason
adduced is that the vAjasaneyaka samhita was received
by the rishi yAjnavalkya through the grace of the sun
god, so it is 'bright' or 'Sukla'.

>From the story Chandrasekharan mentioned, we also learn
that the Sukla yajur veda was compiled after the kRshNa
yajur veda.