Re: Doubts on Yajur Veda.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 6, 2000

Dear Sri Malolan,
   This same question when adiyEn posted about a year back,
Sri Satakopan replied elaborately about the origin of the two
Sakais and about YagnavAlkyar. Unfortunately I don't recollect
which month... But probably you can use Sri Mani's archival search
and find out Sri Satakopan's posting.
   As I understood, Yagnavalkyar had a conflict with his guru
when the former, out of acharya bhakti declared that he alone can
absolve his acharya of a curse that fell on latter. Upon
hearing this declaration his Guru misunderstood it for arrogance
and asked him to quit as his disciple, upon which Yagnavalkyar
determined to part and "vomitted" out all that he had learnt from
his Guru. What was "vomitted" out was Krishna Yajur Veda which was
later absorbed by the Guru's other disciples as tiththiri birds.
Later Yagnavalkyar prayed to Surya and absorbed the knowledge of
Shukla Yajur Veda which even his Guru didn't know. So the crux
is that Yagnavalkyar never authored the Shukla Sakai but he compiled
it. For more details please search for Sri Satakopan's posting.

  adiyEn,
  chandrasekaran.