Re: Fwd: [sv-rituals] Shri Maha Sudarshan Homam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 18, 2002

At 05:47 PM 9/16/02 -0000, you wrote:
>I would like to know about sudarshan homam. How to perform the homam.
>The mantras used in oblations etc...  Please post or email me.
>
>Thanks
SrI Vishnavan

Dear SrI Vaishnava:

SrI Sudarsana Homam is a powerful and grand homam
consisting of the recitation of many Veda manthrams
preceded by BhIjAksharams and prayOgams .

If you are living in the USA, I would recommend you
to particpate in one of the Sudarsana Homams that are
being performed in the most Vaidhika Manner at SrI RanganAtha temple
at Pomona , NY every week . It starts between 8 and 9 A.M on every
Saturday and Sunday. It lasts around an hour .

A brief sequence for Sudarsana Homam acording to
one sampradhAyam is as follows:
*****************

1. Sudarsana Manthra Japam with kara nyAsam , HrudhayAdhi
   nyAsam , DhyAanam , ViniyOgam

2. Sudarsana AshTottharam starting with (PraNavam ) SudarsanAya nama:
   and concluding with (PraNavm) NaarAyaNakrupAvyUha tEjascchakrAya nama:

3. SrI Sudarsana Homa MahA Sankalpam

4. Kumba AavAhanam : In that Kumbam , VaruNan , Lakshmi NaarAyaNan,
   Sudarsan are invoked and ShOdasOpachAra AarAdhanam is performed

5. Agni Prathishtai

6. Homam with the following Manthrams:

   ** SrI Sudarsana ShadAkshari(108 times)with aahUthi

   ** SrI Sudarsana GaayathrI

   ** SrI Sudarsana MaalA Manthram

   **  SrI Nrusimha manthram

   **  SrI Nrusimha GaayathrI

   **  SrI VishNu GaayathrI

   **  SrI LakshmI GaayathrI

   **  SrI LakshmiI Manthra Homam

   **  SrI DhanvanthrIi Manthra prayOgam

   **  SrI Paanchajanya Gaayathri

   **  PoorNAhUthi

All (the Four participants)/rhtviks) and the spectators
go around the Agni Kuntam and recite SrI SudarsanAshtakam .
The Basmam ( saampal) from the Homam is worn on
the forehead for auspiciousness and protection.

The Homam concludes here.

In this Homam , if Lord Sudarsana is pleased ,
you may get a glimpse of Sudarsana BhagavAn
in the Saptha jihvA (Seven tongued) of Agni JwAlai.

Optional: Sudarsana ShaDkam can be recited here
followed by SrI Sudarsana Sathakam of Sri Koora
NaarAyaNa Jeeyar. This is a a powerful sthOthram.

This sthOthram is about the fierce and yet
auspicious Sudarsana JwAlai and the other
parts of Sudarsana Chakram . SrI Koora NaarAyaNa Jeeyar
has blessed us with 100 slOkams on Lord Sudarsana ( 24 on
the Sudarsana JwAlai, 14 on the nEmi of SudarsanA ,
12 on the arams of SudarsanA , 11 slOkams on the Naabhi of
Sudarsana chakram ,13 slOkams on the Aksham of the Chakram
and 26 on the description and salutation of
Sudarsana MahA Purushan presiding over this
MahA Chakram ).

In conclusion , Swamy  NammAzhwAr's ThriuvAimozhi
decad 7.4 can be recited for general auspicousness
and to ward off any amangalams.

This decad starts with the Paasuram :

Aazhiyezha Sankum villumzha , disai
  vaazhiyezhat-taNDum VaaLUmezha , aNDam
mOzhaiyeazha mudipaadhamezha , Appan
  Oozhyezha Ulaham koNDavARE

Invocatory benedictions
************************
1.SoudarsanI JwAlA BhavathAm abhIpsithAni vitharathu!

(May the most beautiful to behold JwAlai of
 Sudarsanar grant You all what You desire ).

2.chAkram maha: BhUtayE va: sphurathu !

( May the Tejas/Radiance of Sudarsana BhagavAn
  remove all kinds of poverty and grant great
  wealth).

3. JyOthi BhavathAm praharsham pradisathu!

(May the effulgence of SrI Sudarsanar remove all
 worries and grant you happiness ).

4-100 : There are similar benedictions that go
with every slOkam of SrI Sudarsana Sathakam
to give us an understanding of the MahA MangaLams
arising from SrI Sudarsana manthra japam , Homa
Karyam and SthOthra Padanam .

Please come and join us on Saturday and Sunday Mornings
to take part in the SrI Sudarsana Homam at
SrI RanganAthA Temple at Pomona , NY . Please also
sponsor this Homam if you could not travel to Pomona , NY.

SrI VijayavallI SamEtha SrI Sudarsana ParabrahmaNE Nama:
Daasan , Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan

P.S : Plans are underway to celebrate Swamy Desikan's
Thirunakshathram in a grand manner on October 19m at
the temple. Please reserve this date and join the Bhaktha GhOshti.
The SahasranAmam for Swamy Desikan composed by Thirukkudanthai
Desikan will be recited for the First time outside India
on that day. A Music event , Swamy Desikan PuRappADu ,
NMaryAdhai from Lord RanganAthA , AchArya RaamAnujA
will also take place. The SthOthrams of Swamy Desikan
will be recited at every one of the 8 Sannidhis of
SrI RanganAthA Temple during this day. A TadhiyArAdhanai
will take place. Please come with Family and friends and
enjoy this rare treat !

AdiyEn will write in a future posting about the sampradhAyam
at Kaanchi , when Swamy Desikan performs MangaLAsAsanam
for Lord VaradarAjan on the PurattAsi SravaNam day
and has PiriyA vidai from Lord VaradarAjan at Hasthigiri.

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/MVfIAA/XUWolB/TM