Re: [sv-rituals] Re: Agnihotram

From the Bhakti List Archives

• May 22, 2002

Dear list members,

>From a cursory examination of agnihotra.org, it comes across as
one of those neo-religion things, and makes agnihotram sound
akin to yoga or meditation, the way the terms are used more
commonly in the west. I have never heard it referred to
as "Homa therapy" before, or that it should be practised for
health benefits (though that may be one of the side benefits)
from any of the orthodox practitioners I have met. Please
accept my apologies if I read it wrong.

I was rather taken aback to see that "anyone" can practise
agnihotram. To the best of my knowledge, there are strict
qualifications and prescriptions for who can be an agnihotri,
and the procedure involves more than kindling a fire and
chanting a two line mantra at dawn and dusk. My great-
grandfather was a nitya agnihotri and his austerities were
rigorous. It was one of his greatest regrets that none of his
children qualified to be one.

I request more knowledgable members to correct mistakes in my
understanding.

Sincerely,
-Shuba

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent
people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation
of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to
appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the
world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has
breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have
succeeded.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)

---- On Wed, 22 May 2002, Tomgull (tomgull@email.msn.com) wrote:

> Visit these websites for information on Agnihotra:
>
> http://www.agnihotra.org
> Information and link to catalog for supplies
>
> http://mach.usno.navy.mil/
> Website for US Naval Observatory, can generate timesheets for
sunrise
> and sunset for the whole year for your location.

> Yahoo Group for Agnihotris
>

> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------
> FREE COLLEGE MONEY
> CLICK HERE to search