[sv-rituals] On prostrating inside a temple/garbhagriha

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 22, 2002

Sri:
SrimathE Ramanujaya Namaha:
AzhwAr emperumAnAr jeeyar thiruvadigalE Saranam
Appan thiruvadigalE Saranam

Dear bhagavathas,

I was told by my father that the reason for not prostrating inside a
temple garbhagriha and other sannithis is becasue of the the temple
constrctiion. Usually, if you visit any temple, you will notice that
the sannithi of Ciriya thiruvadi is facing Perumal. So when
prostrating in front of Perumal puts the leg towards the shrine of
Ciriya thiruvadi, hence causing dis-respect. In some temples, you
will find the idols of Azhwars facing Perumal, which is also a
problem when prostrating infront of the sannidhi. it ammounts to
disrespect to AzhwArs which is worse.

Hecne the elders recommend prostrating in front of the dwajasthambam.
Also, when walking out of a shrine, you should always walk out facing
the shrine (do not trun your back towards Perumal).

Adiyen

Venkatesh Elayavilli
http://www.srivaishnava.org

--- In sv-rituals@y..., "Aravinda K."  wrote:
> srImaTE rAmAnujAya namah!
> dear bhagavathas,
> let me introduce myself as Aravinda hailing from the
> village Tirumazhisai near chennai india, the place
> associated with Azhwar of the same name. i stay in
> bangalore. in all the srivaishnavite temples i have
> visited in south india, the practice is to prostrate
> at dwajasthambam only. here in bangalore too the
> priests continue to  request bhakthas not to do
> 'namaskaram' in front of the garbhagriha. still some
> people -may be carried away by their devotion- do so.
> why is it not correct to do namaskaram at places
> beyond dwajasthambam? can any one explain?what is the
> significance?-Aravinda

> http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.