You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : Rituals: April 2002

Re: [sv-rituals] Abhivadhanam

From: Vijayaraghavan Srinivasan (vijayaraghavan_s_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 09:43:36 PDT

ShrImAn Anand:

It is true that you cannot do abhivAdanam to a sanyasi or a Women.  However,
you can do abhivAdanam to your mother.  Similarly you should also not do
abhivAdanam to someone who does not know the proper way of responding to the
abhivAdanam.

On a related matter, you are not supposed to prostrate before the priest or
others inside a temple.  Only the Lord is given that respect.

S. Vijayaraghavan
Buffalo, NY

>From: "Anand Vasudevan" <anand_vasudevan@infy.com>
>To: <sv-rituals@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [sv-rituals] Abhivadhanam
>Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:12:25 +0530
>
>		Dear bhagavathas,
>
>			I would like to know when to do abhivathanam & I know you cannot do
>abhivadhanam to women. Is there any exceptions to this rule & what are the
>other restrictions for doing abhivadhanam? Also can one do abhivadhanam to
>sanyasis(esp when they are not your acharya?) I request the learned
>bhagavathas to clarify this silly doubt of mine.
>
>		Ranganathan thiruvadiyae charanam.
>		Anand.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.