Re: [sv-rituals] Significance of NAmam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 10, 2002

Srimathe Narayanaye Namah:

Wearing Thiruman Kappu and Sri Choornam (instead of
Namam, which is derogatory and does not explain
anything), from adiyen's little knowledge, is for the
following purposes.
    1. Kappu (protection) from any sort of evil. My
Grandma used to say that the space between eye brows
is the place where any evil forces can take control of
you. To prevent this, we wear Thiruman Kappu.
    2. Whenever you see others wearing Thiruman/Sri
Choornam, you will be reminded of the Divine
Thampathis, similar to the significance behind giving
Lord's and Devi's names to babies.

    3. To remind you that you should not have ego or
the "I" feeling and that everything will become "mud"
or "sand" (which forms the base of Thiruman Kappu/Sri
Choornam) and that you should spend your time thinking
about the lotus feet of Sriman Narayana.

    4. The space inbetween the two eye brows is a
special place where nadis end (I do not know the full
details). Keeping this place cool is good for health
and this is also a reason.

    5. Whenever you go beyond your controls and try to
indulge in wrong doings, the Thiruman Kappu will
remind you of your status and will prevent you.

You can get more info at
http://members.tripod.com/~sriramanujar/thiruman.html

or from google search engine or in
Bhakti list groups. I remember that this was
discussed.

Adiyen
Srihari Raghavan

--- vaidhehi_nc  wrote:
> Dear All,
>          I am gita(alias vaidhehi/nappinnai)already
> introduced
> myself from my other acc(nappinnai_nc@y...). My
> fundamental doubt is:
> Why should PerumAL wear His own feet on His
> forehead(or rather why
> should we put nAmam on Him)? Can anyone clarify my
> doubt?
>
> NAmam(be it Thenkalai/Vadakalai) basically
> represents:white lines-
> PerumAL's pAdam & red/yellow line - Sri.
>
> AzhwAr EmperumAnAr ThiruvadigaLE saraNam
> gita

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.