Re: [sv-rituals] Rules for doing Tarpanam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• April 8, 2002

Dear Rohit:

>From the nature of your question it appears to me that you use the word
"tarpanam", implying only the "pitru tarpanam".  This is not necessarily
true.

For example:  Everyone does "KeshavAdi tarpanam" during SandhyA, similarly
kAnda rishi tarpanam is part of our nitya karmAnushtAnam.  According to some
even the general pitru tarpanam can be done by all - as part of the snAnAnga
tarpanam.  However, one must be guided by one's own family traditions.

The general rule is

kanishtA desi angushta moolAn agram karasyaya
PrajApatir pitru brahma dEva teerthAni anukramAt

Water should escape from:
the little finger for the Rishi teertham
the fore finger for the Pitru teertham
the thumb for the Brahma teertham and
finger-tips for the dEva teertham

I hope this clarifies.

dAsan

Vijayaraghavan
Buffalo, NY

>From: Rohit Iyer
>To: sv-rituals@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [sv-rituals] Rules for doing Tarpanam
>Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 09:25:15 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Hi Bhaktas,
>
>My parents are still alive, therefore I don't do
>Sraddha or Tarpanam. But I read in the Manu smrti that
>Tarpanam is part of the Pancha Mahayajnas that every
>Brahmana must do.
>
>Therefore my question is - is it my duty to do
>tarpanam?
>Also should what is procedure for this?
>
>Thanks,
>rohit
>

>=====
>Rohit Iyer
>
>email: iyer_rohit@yahoo.com
>phone: 408-445-9693

>Yahoo! Tax Center - online filing with TurboTax
>http://taxes.yahoo.com/

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.