You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : October 1999

RE:SVAAHAH

From: L&T-ECCG-Buildings & Factories (BAF-ECC_at_eccm.co.in)
Date: Wed Oct 27 1999 - 03:30:58 PDT

Dear Sri Vaishnava perunthagaiyeer

Sri Sampath kumaran has raised a point on svaahah.  It is true that Svaaha:
is agni's wife. The word svaaha: also means an exclamatory word meaning I am
making an oblation in the fire Oh... devata please accept. [Viz.the word
"Indraaya svaahah" means "Oh Indra, I am offering an oblation, Please
accept". This word is also indeclinable in grammar, means does not change
according to gender, vibakthi.

Agni is the courier who carries the oblation offered. So it does not mean
svaaha the wife of agni screens the offering and then permits her husband to
carry it.

Of course in the lighter vein, we can accept what Sri sampath says, first
she screens, then permit the husband to carry.

Dasan Vasudevan M.G.