Re: ayudha pooja

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 20, 1999

Dear Sri SampathkumAran :

Your recitation of Sri ShOdasAyudha
SthOthram of Swami Desikan on "Aayudha
Poojai " day is really a very appropriate
practise indeed .

As you have rightfully pointed out ,
the plough, Ulakkai ,knife are indeed some of
the aayudhams used in the life of a farmer ,
house wife and soldier respectively .

Beyond the mundane use of these aayudhams in
daily life , there are a lot of tattvArthams behind these
weapons in Sri Vaishnava sampradhAyam . For instance ,
the gadhai ( GoumEdhaki ) , one of the panchAyudhams
of the Lord is the tattvam known as MahAn (mahath)
among the triad of doctrines, Prakruthi-MahAn-ahankAram .
Thus the Aayudhams have the ability to destroy
the aj~nAnam and ViparItha Jn~Anam as well .

The direct connection to Sri SudarsanAzhwAr and
Aayudhams is given by Swami Desikan himself in
the 18th slOkam of ShOdasAyudha SthOthram :

asthra grAmasya kruthsnasya
  prasUthim yam prachakshyathE
sOvyAth SudarsanO visvam
  Aayudhai: ShOdasAyudha:

(meaning): The SaasthrAs state that all the aayudhams
of the world recognize Sri Sudarsanar as the reason
for their existence(origin,birth) . May Lord SudarsnA
adorning these sixteen AayudhAs protect the beings of
the world with them !

here Swami Desikan clearly points out that every weapon
in usage originated from Sri Sudarsana BhagavAn . Hence
your observance of the recitation of this beautiful sthuthi
is very appropriate. I will only suggest that ,
Sri SudarsanAshtakam recitation goes together with
the ShOdasAyudha SthOthram , since both were composed
at the same time at Thirupputkkuzhi to banish the
visha juram that gripped the people of this
Dhivya Desam . Sri Rangaswamuy , a devout
worshipper of Sri Sudarsana -Narasimhar has
written extensively on the other tattvams
behind the Sudarsana Chakram earlier.

Best wishes,
V.Sadagopan