RE: Some questions regarding some of our customs ...

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 13, 1999

Sri:

Dear Sri Narayanan,

Your writing is good. Quite analytical.

You wrote:

> Why they are prostrating only once?
> it is said that vibheeshana just once prostrated, Sri.Rama took him in his
> fort.
> the elephent called only once 'Adimoolamae'....there you see perumal
> giving
> protection.
> not to negate prahalada's wish, he appeared at ONCE.
>
> hence by just making single saranagathi, he gives kadakshama at  once.such
> is His love for us.
> hence to remind him more and more by prostrating more and more, we have
> not
> understood HIS mercy properly and hece multiple prosrtations are not
> correct..
===========
We are not even qualified to speak which is correct or incorrect. (at least
I am not) We have Parama
Bhagawathas in both sampradayam and we have highest regards for them in both
sides.
Our respect for all of Poorva acharyas is profound and deep.

There are "anubhavam" laden subtle differences.

Sri Mani wrote so excellenetly defending both once and multiple from
AchAryAs' slOkams.
BOTH are true. We need to follow what we are asked to.. by our elders.

In as much as you say, prostrating once is adequate, then the subsequent
question can be, why should
it be "once" everytime after it is prostrated "once". So, only one
prostration in a life time..??

The queries and interpretations are endless.

I get as much moved with the explanation of why "once" the same extent as I
get moved why "multiple".
(When we really feel sorry for something and ask for forgiving, don't we say
"sorry. Very sorry.. Extremely sorry.. " more than once.? with more guilt..)

AzhwAr Emperumaanaar Desikan and JIyer ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam

Regards

Narayana Narayana

Narayana dAsan