Re: Need Meaning Of Samskrit Words

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 27, 1997

At 02:03 PM 10/27/97 EST, Ram Gopalaswamy wrote:
>Could someone explain meaning of samaskrita words below ?
>
>"sam-kalpa", "a-kalpa" & "vi-kalpa" .
>
>What do the prefixes "sam-", "a-" &  "vi-" mean, in general ?
>
>-Ram.

Sam - kalpa means decision or resolution to do something or to will.  For
example satya samkalpah means one whose will itself is truth. ie. whatever
he wills is true.  The word samkalpa can be broken as :

samyak kalpah.  samyak means "well" kalpah = willing or thought.

vikalpa = options or alternatives.  ie. for example one can attain
atmasakshatkara or get self realization through karma yoga or jnana yoga.
this means that there is vikalpa in the methods to attain self realization.

what is akalpa?  beats me. I am not sure. the upasarga "A" means "no" or
negation.  I am not sure akalpa means.  I need to know the context in which
the word is used. I will try to do some research on this word tonight.

Adiyen Krishna Kalale