Tamerind : sAthvikam ?

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 20, 1997

Dear Sri Anand :
I have looked up the entire AhAra Niyamam
of Swami Desikan for you . The only reference
to PuLI is the section , where our AchArya states
that food that is excessively sour ( Kodum
PuLippu ) is to be avoided along with those ,
which are excessively sharp ( hot ) .
The statement is to avoid " mikka kaaramum ,
puLippum ullavai" .
Tamarind is not expressly spelled out
in the context of the enormous spelling out
of other foods to be avoided .

In moderation . Tamaringd is good for digestion ,
taste and has oxalic acid . My gandfather's brother
got a hole in his alimentary canal however from
excessive use of Tamarind in his preparations .

Lemon and lime are good substitutes for PuLi ,
but PuLI need not be avoided as long as it is used
in moderation .
V.Sadagopan