From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 31, 1996

Hello : It is very rare to have name
"Shanipriya " for a child .There must be
a reason for such  achoice .  Bhagavan Sani
is the son of Surya . Among all the planets
(Nava Graham ), he moves the slowest  in
a majestic fashion. He blesses those
immersed in samsaaric sufferings and is
particularly fond of Siva Bhakthaas .
He is dark in color according to Mantra Sastraas .
Composer Mutthuswami Dikshithar has drawn a beautiful
pen portrait of him in Sanskrit
in his composition " Diwakara Thanujam
Sanaiswaram " set in Raga Yadhukula Kambhoji.
He is worshipped by Maalini mantra ( One of the
Navagraha Mantraas)and is fond of blue flowers.
He is the Lord of Makara and Kumba raasis
according to the Jyothisha Saastram doctrines.
When one has sani Dasai , it is a difficult period and
--maximum 7 and half years--
and one waits for a considerable period of time to
get out of it. He is worshipped in Tamil Nadu
in a Temple for him at ThirunaLLaaru near
Karaikaal . Deepams burning gingelly oil
and Sesame seed rice are pleasing to him.
Hence worshippers offer them to him to get his
blessings.His vehicle is Crow. He limps  as a result of
being hit on his knees by Kala chakram in a
fight.
He is considered equivalent to Kamadhenu in his
capacity to give boons requested by his devotees.
I have no clue for the choice
of such a rare name for the child . Hence , It is
difficult for me to comment on the appropriateness
of such a name as Shanipriya for  a child..

V.Sadagopan