With Apologies for mistakes Re: Thirumantram

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 6, 1996

> [...]
>>
>> One should meditate on the thirumantram with the love & devotion that is
>> appropriate to its greatness ('seermai')
>>
>> One has to meditate on the thirumantram, not with an empty heart, but
>> with an understanding of its greatness & with love towards. One should
>> take care that one meditates on it without the thirumantram being heard
>> by the non-adhikaaris ('anadhikaarikaL')
>>}}
>>
>> It is important to note who the adikaaris & the non-adhikaaris are.
>> Mumukshupadi sutram 1 deals with who a mumukshu is & what a mumukshu
>> must know.
>>
>>Mumukshupadi 1:
>>{{  'mumukshuvukku aRiya vENdum rahasyam moonRu'
>>
>> There are three rahasyaas that a mumukshu must know.
>>
>> One who has a desire towards moksha is a mumukshu. i.e one who desires
>> samsaara vimochanam. Even though aatmapraaptikaamas (people who have a
>> desire to attain an understanding of their souls) have mumukshutvam
>> they are not the adhikaaris addressed here.
>> One who desires samsaara vimochanam as a result of
>> bhagavath praapti kaamam (a desire to attain the Lord) is the mumukshu that
>> is being addressed here.
>>
>>}}
>>
>> One need not understand the meaning of the thirumantram to meditate on it.
>> The thirumantram does not lose its svaroopam even if it is recited in any
other
>> way than it is supposed to be.
>>
>> mumukshupadi 17:
>>{{  'sollum kramam ozhiyach chonnaalum than svaroopam keda nillaadhu'
>>
>> As in Bhagavatham 6-2-14, Uttering the name of the Lord through
>> calling somebody by their name or making fun of someone named after
>> the Lord will lead to the removal of all sins.
>> (SaankEthyam paarihaasyam cha sthObham hELanamEva va|
>>  vaikuNtanaamaGrahaNamasEshaaGaharam vidhu: ||)
>>
>> Reciting the thirumantram even in ways that are not prescribed as the kramam
>> will not result in any lessening of the svaroopam of the thirumantram (which
>> is rakshakam for those who meditate on it)
>>}}
>>
>>So, in my understanding, the thirumantram can be meditated upon (or recited or
>>written, in our case) as long as it is within a community of the adhikaaris as
>>defined above i.e. mumukshus.
>
>The people in this mailing list, I would assume,
>>fit the above definition of adhikaari.  Even if it were to be picked up by
>>someone who is not an adhikaari, it does not lose its greatness(mahimai).
>>In fact, if a non-adhikaari picks up the thirumantram,
>>the mantram will do him/her/it good as it is said in mumukshupadi 18,19 & 20.
>>
>>Our poorvaachaaryaas were concerned with the thirumantram being
misinterpreted &
>>misused by people who are not concerned, and that I think is the reason for
>>the qualifier.
>>

>>Daasaanu daasan,
>>Varadhan
>>

>The contents of your mail are valid comments.  The reason I stated earlier
for "un-controlled" usage of tirumantram on the net are as follows:

>1.  In this group, there are several folks who have not yet undertaken
prapatti whichever form you may want to think (the vadagalai way or the
tenkalai way of "sambandha jnana") or even samasrayanam.  The tirumantram
and other rahasya mantras are taught by a Acharya to a disciple during
initiation. In fact the disciple is supposed to learn the meanings of the
mantras also.  If one talks about this mantram on the phone, probably it is
ok since it is from a person to person.   If such mantrams are published on
the net.  Say some one knows about this mantram.  Say he goes to an Acharya
and gets mantropadesam.  He (by chance) may think "well I knew of this
mantra earlier. Why did I have to travel all the way to India to get
mantropadesam?  Anyway I did not have the time to really understand the
meanings of this mantra clearly.  In fact I dont need an acharya, I have
several of them on the network!".  This is a little exageration but you
never know how a human mind can work.

>What gaurantee do you have, that such mantras will be honored when you put
them on the net.  do you know how many people are on this group and do you
know all of them personally very well? do you know that all of us are
mumukshus?
******************
I apologize for my mistake in the previous mail. I will correct it here...

A mumukshu is one who has interest in attaining moksha. What if there is a
certain person on the network who is just checking this out and not a mumukshu.
  Please remember that this group is not a closed group of only
srivaishnavas.  This group is open to all who have interest in
srivaishnavism or even have a reasonable "short time" interest. In fact can
you gaurantee that everyone on this network would be theists forever?  what
if one of us (say me) becomes an atheist later and then start questioning
and even demeaning the mantras? One cannot be sure in life about being a
theist till the end. circumstances can change one's course of life.  I have
known people who were theists from childhood to middle age and later on
turned atheists .  We may get into arguments with some one and start quoting
and saying half cooked perceptions on this mantra to others. that will be
apacharam to the mantra. "mantram yatnena gopayet" is a dharmashastra issue.
one should protect the value and respect of mantras with great effort.  As
you have quoted mumukshuppadi, it is fine, the mantra does not lose value or
even the person who utters it without interest may get the benefit.  But all
said and done, I would appreciate if you or anyone can talk to your Acharya
personally and clearly get an explanation on the issue and let us know
whether tirumantram can be put on a network.  I know that from the vedanta
desika point of view it is clearly a NO. I would not be comfortable using a
commentary on mumukshuppadi or srivachana bhusana to take a position on this
because there are lot of hidden meaning in such rich texts which are
understood only during kalakshepam under an acharya for some reasonable
amount of time (not jut couple of lectures). I would like to know from
current Acharyas what the right methodology is?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
>If such Acharyas feel that it is fine.  then I guess I understand that this
issue also is a point which is understood differently from different
acharyas of the post Ramanuja period. then I have no argument, but will
follow what I feel is right.

I personally know Sri Chinna Tridandi swamy.  I do not have his telephone
number here. I will try my India sources soon to find details on this.

>Dasan Krishna Kalale

I apologize if I have done any apacharams to the people on this network. My
sincere interest is that tirumantram should not be even unintentionally
subjected to a situation which can allow or provide an occasion for that to
be demeaned or insulted.

Dasan Krishna Kalale
Krishna Kalale
619-658-5612 (phone)