You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : October 1995

Re: Sri VenkatEsaa suprapaatham

From: Parthasarati Dileepan (MFPD_at_UTCVM.UTC.EDU)
Date: Thu Oct 26 1995 - 06:19:34 PDT

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995 14:59:09 -0500 K. Srinivasan said:

[ .. snip .. ]

>In fact, even "kO dhai" is "kO" (God in Tamil) + "dhai" (from Tamil "thaa" give
>or  Sanskrit "dhattha" give)
>
>Thus Andal "kOdhai" is "the one given by the God" and not "given by Cow".
>Just like "kO il" is not "gO il" (which will be a cow shelter).
>
>Unfortunately, the "majority" will say "Go dhai" and derive it from "Sacred
>Cow"
>in Sanskrit.

   The Sanskrit thaniyan for Thiruppaavai by Sriman Naadhamuni
   says "gOdhaa," not "kOdhaa."  Both "gOdhaa" and "kOdhaa"
   will be written the same way in Tamil, but differently
   in Sanskrit.  This makes me assume that the Sanskrit
   version, i.e. "gOdhaa" is correct.  Further, I am not
   sure whether "gOdhaa" is "given by cow".

-- Dileepan