Sri venkatEsa suprapaatham and thirup palli ezhuchchi

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 26, 1995

> On Oct 25,  2:59pm, K. Srinivasan wrote:
> > Subject: Re:  Sri VenkatEsaa suprapaatham
> > >Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 11:13:45 -0700
> > >From: mani@srirangam.esd.sgi.com (Mani Varadarajan)
> > >To: prapatti@srirangam.esd.sgi.com, "Sampath Rengarajan"

> > >Subject: Re:  Sri VenkatEsaa suprapaatham
> > >
> > >Sampath Rengarajan writes:
> > >* In Tamil
> > >* "ko" "Cow" vinthan is one associated with cows is also a popular
> deriavtion. It
> > >* (such tamil translation) has nothing to do with the govindaa [...]
> > >
> > >While Govinda may have many other meanings, the one associated
> > >with cows is not from Tamil. This is a very old Prakrit and
> > >Sanskrit derivation.  In fact, Gaudiya Vaishnavas (such as
> > >Hare Krishnas) believe Govinda the cowherd to be an eternal name
> > >of the Lord since their name for paramapada is Goloka, where
> > >Krishna is present as in Brindaavan.
> > >
> > >Mani
> > >

> > "kO" in Tamil is King and not Cow. "go" in Sanskrit is "cow".
> > "kO  il"  is the house of the "kO". (il = house in Tamil. illu in Telugu I
> think.)
> > God is the ruler, king etc., of the universe. So "kO" refers to God also.
> >
> > There are many places in the pasurams where "kO" "kOn" etc.
> > are used to refer to  the Almighty, God etc.
> >
> > In fact, even "kO dhai" is "kO" (God in Tamil) + "dhai" (from Tamil "thaa"
> give or  Sanskrit "dhattha" give)
> >
> > Thus Andal "kOdhai" is "the one given by the God" and not "given by Cow".
> > Just like "kO il" is not "gO il" (which will be a cow shelter).
> >
> > Unfortunately, the "majority" will say "Go dhai" and derive it from "Sacred
> Cow" in Sanskrit.
> >
> > Srinivasan K
> >
> >-- End of excerpt from K. Srinivasan

> kO maathaa - is a popular term referred to and used in Tamil for holy cow .
kO
> in Tamil certainly carries a meaning as cow !
>
> Besides this, the main issue is Krishna the only one refered to as kOvindan
as
> conveyed earlier. No ! kOvindan existed before Krishnaa. Krishna is also
called
> by
> 1. HrusheekEsan
> 2.Achyuthan
> 3.kEsavan
> 4. mathusoothanan
> 5. Janaarthanan
> 6. Maathavan
> 7. vaarshNEyan
> 8. arisoothanan
> 9. kEsinishoothanan
> 10. vasudEvan
> 11. purushothaman
> 12. bagavaan
> 13. yOkEswaran
> 14. vishnu
> 15. jagannivaaan
> 16. yaathavan
> These are the sixteen names called for in Srimath Bagavath Geethaa besides
> kOvindan, and sri krishnan. I have the meaning for all of them. while most of
> them are "kaaraanap peyar" some of them (vasudevan, govindan, vishnu,
> janaarthanan, ... ) are attributed to him because he assumed
> the universal form during this upadEsam.
> Sampath Rengi
>-- End of excerpt from Mail Delivery Subsystem

The one strong reason why thirup palli ezhuchchi is the greatest of all supra
paadams is, all of the suprapaadams (thiruvEnkadan, Oppiliappan etc) are all
composed with "kausalyaa suprajaa raamaa" being referred to, and here thirup
palli
ezhuchci is offered to arangathammaa who kousalyaa suprajaa ramaa himself
offered such prayers once. ie It is known that arangathammaa was worshipped by
ramaa himself. Puthur Krishnaswami iyengar writes that he is rama's god or
god's god and thirupp palli ezhuchchi is the basis for all modern day supra
paathams.
Sampath Rengi