Re: Mahakavi Kamban

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 25, 2002

--SRIMATHE RAMANUJAYA NAMAHA.
Deear Sri Naresh,
I am sorry, you are misled into believe something for which if
published in the Tamil print media, you would be greatly admonished.
Kindly harbour no such notions about Kamban.
 Kamban had many detractors even in his times who wanted to criticise
him at the drop of the hat. One such person wanted to find fault with
his Tamil.
Kamban used a word 'thumi' for 'thooL' (a very fine particle). That
word was not known to many then. But Kamban took his critic to the
village side where they heard the folks use this word in conversation.
Kamban's knowledge and  involvement in poetic endeavours was such
that that he is rightly called as 'kavi chakravarthy' and as
one "kamban veettu kattu thariyum kavi paadum'.

Even the criticism about the arangEtram and the so-called lack of
humility in him are unwarranted. For he wrote the epic at the behest
of the king, Kuloththungan and it naturally flows that he has to
declare his write-up in his presence in the august gathering of co-
poets.He also had to get it approved by them as was the practice
then.

The main apprehension about kamban must have stemmed from his not
being declared an azhwan.
I think this is an off-handed / delebreartly cooked up idea to
somehow find fault with Kamban.
Any one well acquainted with the form and import of aruli cheyal and
the kind of aura around the ahwars, will be the last ones to think
about giving azhwar-hood to kamban. Each of them have done immense
service to Bhakti movement and literature in their own style. That's
all I can say.

jayasree sarnathan.