RE: Austrian research on Visishtadvaita

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 24, 2002

I have seen four volumes of the series -
1. Tattvaratnakara fragments, about 72 of them, with annotation and German
translation. These have been published earlier by a Sri Vaishnava scholar
too (Uttamur Viraraghavacharya??), indepenently, but I forget his name.
2. The Antaryami Brahmana of Brihadaranyaka Upanishad (with Ramanujacharya's
gloss on these vakyas).
3. Critical edition of Samvitsiddhi - the text as such is not much different
from the 'Siddhitrayam' published from Chennai. Ed. is Roque Mesquita.
4. Fragments of Yadavaprakasha's Brahmasutrabhashya, mainly from
Vedantadeshika's works, and secondarily from Sudarshana Suri's works. This
is the largest collection of his fragments that I have encountered, although
several crucial onces in Srutaprakasika etc. have been left out.

All the four volumes are in Sanskrit-German, and of very good quality. We
should indeed offer our support. Gerhard Oberhammer is the series editor.
The series has also produced some works on Dvaita, one of which is available
in English translation (on the Vedic quotations in Madhva's works, published
by Aditya Prakashan, Delhi and authored by Mesquita). This particular work
has invited a lengthy criticism by Shrisha Rao, and this is under
publication in the forthcoming issue of WZKS (Vienna). In the
acknowledgements sections, you will find my name as well.

The 4 volumes above should actually be available in all major US libraries,
bound with other volumes of the series.

Vishal Agarwal