Re: Ref of Avatars in Vedas

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 21, 2002

Metaphysically, the Kurma avataram has a lot of concepts. It contains
a few yoga-rahasyams and some vedantic ideas conveyed through it.

* The ocean that is churned can be equated to the ocean of samsaram.
* The Devas and Asuras represent the good and the evil forces that
exist in our minds.
* The Meru mountain that is used to churn represents the back-bone
through which Kundalini rises.
* The Snake that is used for the churning and that which is pulled by
both sides, is basically the regulation of the breath through the Ida
and Pingala nadis.
* The Kurmam or the turtle represents the state of mind when the 5
senses are drawn inside. The turtle cannot be harmed when it draws
its 4-legs and its head inside. Therefore when we control our 5-
senses by drawing them inside, we can progress on the Yogic path.
* The various wealth and other treasures that are got in the process
of churning are the various Ashta-siddhis that can be got through
Yogam.

Its not a surprise to note that in the 8th Shandham, 8th Adhyayam,
8th Verse of Srimad Bhagavatam, the goddess of wealth emerges
(AshtaLakshmi).

* Finally Amritam is got in the process. Amritam is nothing but A-
Mrityu. Or no death. Which means that for one who has attained Jivan-
Mukthi by through this Yogic process, there's no death or re-birth.

Also, some points to be noted are that. The Jivaatma cannot start
this process by himself. Sri Narayana asks both Devas and Asuras to
jointly bring the mountain to the ocean but they dont succeed. So he
lifts the mountain using Garuda and brings it to the appropriate
place.

Once again, they are not able to churn it, so he gives them Vasuki.
But they again realise that the mountain keeps sinking into the
ocean. (just as we keep failing and fall into the ocean of
samsaaram). So Lord assumes the form of a turtle and helps them in
this endeavour.

Even then, they are not able to get the full effect of its benefits.
So Lord again assumes the form of Mohini and finally serves them the
Amritam (nectar). This indicates that even with lot of effort by
tough practises etc., Moksham is possible only with Lord's grace.

>From this avataram it is to be realised that all the steps were
indeed performed by God only and guided and helped by him always.

The vedantis, can used these hidden concepts to talk about Amritam,
JivanMukthi etc. The Yogis can use concepts for regulating the mind,
breath, senses etc.

The Bhaktas can just go on extolling the greatness of the Lord who
performed this wonderful avataram and helped them in all the steps.

-- Pradeep