Re: Vishnu in Rig Vedam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 18, 2002

--- In Sri Mani Varadarajan wrote:
> Unfortunately, these Rks do not demonstrate Vishnu's supremacy

Sri Mani:

   Your points are valid. Among other things my bias was
certainly evident here.

I would re-phrase that these Rks support (rather than establish)
the paratattvam of Vishnu.

What, then, is relevance of verses (though not in the Samhita) such
as the the following from the Aitareya Brahmana of Rg-Veda?
"agnir avamo devatanAm vishnuh paramah"
(Agni is the lowest and Vishnu is highest among Gods)

> In the Vedarthasangraha, for example, Bhagavad Ramanuja preeminently
> uses the Narayana Sukta, Purusha Sukta (uttara anuvAka), and
> several Upanishads to demonstrate the ultimacy of Narayana.
> (I hope to write about this in an upcoming message.)

Since I haven't read the text of Vedarthasangraha, I request
you and other learned members to share the gist of the arguments
put forth by (primarily ) Sri Bhashyakarar or other later SV acharyas
on Vishnu's paratvam (based on the Sruti only).

Thanks,
adiyen ramanuja dasan,
-Shreyas