Re: Types of arguments (Vaada, Jalpa, Vitanda)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 3, 2002

--- Dodge Ram  wrote:

> Hi All,
>     Could someone please shed light into the
> differences of the above three modes of
> arguing ?
>
> adiyein,
> Sri Ramanuja Dasan

There are actually four types of discussions - samvaada, vaada, jalpa
and vitanDa.
samvaada is the discussion between the teacher and the taught as in
shree krishna-arujuna samvaada.  The student does not question the
teacher but questions his understanding for clarification.  This type
of discussion can occur only when the student surrenders himself
compleately at the feet of the teacher.

Vaada - is the discussion between two equals - the purpose is to
settle what is the truth.  Both come to the table for discussion with
an open mind and the discussion is based on some accepted pramaaNa -
of the authority - for vedanata the pramaaNa-s are specifically the
prasthaanatraya - the Vedas, Bhagavad Geeta and Brahmasuutra. There
are judges to insure the discussion proceeds along the accepted
pramaaNa-s  The discussion proceeds until one accepts the other
arguments.  Some time the discussions can take days - as in the
famous discussion between Shankara and Mandana Misra which was
supposed to have lasted for 18 days till Mandana Misra accepted
defeat and became Shankara's disciple.  Mandana Misra's wife,
Bharati, who was a scholar by herself was supposed to have served as
a judge for that vaada.

Jalpa is where each discussors comes to the table with preconceived
notion that he is right and the other fellow is worng.  The other
fellow also comes with the same notion.  The purpose of the
discussion is only to conver the other fellow to his camp.  There is
no knowledge that takes place in these discussions. Even if one is
loosing his arguments, he only goes and comes back with more
ammunition to defend himself.  Only lot of noise.  But those who are
bystander can learn the defect in each of their orguments and they
can learn out of these discussions if they do not have nay
preconceived notions. Now a days when I hear any discussions among an
adviatins, vishishhTaadvaitins and dvaitins, I find it mostly as
jalpa than vaada.

Vitanda - is some what peculier.  In these discussions one is ready
to take up the other fellows arguments, which he himself does not
believ in, but orgues against the other fellow just to prove that he
is wrong.  This is also accepted arguments and is used very
effectively to prove there is no credibility for the opponent. You
are wrong, not becuase the stament by itself is worng but it is wrong
because you made that statement.

Hari OM!
Sadananda

=====
What you have is His gift to you and what you do with what you have is your gift to Him - Swami Chinmayananda.

http://sbc.yahoo.com