"dhATee-panchakam" tribute to Sri Ramanuja.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 27, 2001

Sri Sadagopan svAmin,

The 'pUrvAchArya-stOtra-mAla' printed (1949) by Prativadi-bhayankaram
Annangaracharya Svami carries a one-line credit of 'dhATee-panchakam' to
Sri kUrattAzhvAn [and, reportedly, others]
~~ Srivatsachihna-miSrAdibhi: anugr.heetam iti prathitam.

In his subsequent comprehensive commentary, Anna Svami makes the
following opening observations:--

"Some hold this five-verse tribute as composed by kUrattAzhvAn;  there
are otbers who consider that this was strung together with a verse
authored each by AzhvAn, ANDAn, embAr etc.   Be it as it may, this
'stOtram' is dulcet to the ears and has long been included in the
protocol of daily recitation. The name "dhAtee-panchakam" is quite
appropriate to this five-verse tribute to the verity [of the theology
and philosophy] of emperumAnAr."        (Added: 'dhATee' meaning
victory.)

On a personal note it occurs to me that, going by the unity of its
diction, this could just be a single-author composition.  It shares
the unique characteristics AzhvAn's "pancha-stavam", namely, the vedic
flavour, strident phrasing, specific allusions,  and the emotional
richness of references to the noble AchArya.

The succinct delineation of Ramanuja's exposition of the
'vEdAnta-sUtram' as contained in the 'panchakam' could have come only
from someone like AzhvAn who had  intimate seminars with the AchArya
even as he spoke out his unrivalled SribhAshyam to his privileged
amanuensis. [EngaL AzhvAn ~~ vishNuchitta, the AchArya of naDatUr ammAL
~~ too had a like privilege subsequently when he was commissioned by
Emperumanar to assist him in writing out the concluding part of
SribhAshyam, after Emperumanar returned to Srirangam from Tirunarayana
Puram, and found that AzhvAn had gotten blinded by the rabid Saiva
chOzha.  Nevertheless, Engal AzhvAn's assitantship in SribhAshyam
composition was of shorter duration than that of AzhvAn.]

It is important to remember that our AchArya personages did not give
room to wasting emotions when their protocol and place of worship
suffered  disturbance and, instead, concentrated on alternative positive
programmes. Thus, during his 'exile' to Tirunarayanapuram, Ramanuja got
the 'pancha nArAyaNa pratishThA' executed by mudali-ANDAn, with the
support of the hoySaLa ruler vishNu-vardhana.  Parasara-bhattar gave us
the enchanting Sriranganatha stotram [beginning,
"sapta-prAkAra-madhyE..."] while he had to leave Srirangam for
tirumAl-irum-SOlai.   Vedantacharya devised his protective incantation
'abheeti-stavam' when he had to seek shelter in Satyamangalam during the
savagery of Malik Kafur's brutes in Srirangam during 1310-1320(?).

During his long years in Tirunarayanapuram, it was a routine with
Ramanuja incessantly to recite his incantation,

"Sriman ! Sriranga-Sriyam, anupadravAm, anu-dinam samvardhaya!"

as the standard invocation for the well-being and security of the holy
city of Srirangam [and all the other divya-dESam and the surpassing
values associated with them;  this connotated by the expression
'Sriranga-Sri'].   AzhvAn had possibly composed the 'pancha-stavam'
after he was disabled from the SribhAshyam assistantship, and as he kept
emitting his 'Arti' (distress and deprivation in being separated from
Ramanuja) in the direction of Tirunarayanapuram where his AchArya had
reached. This is my own surmise on a re-reading of the famous 'taniyan'
~~ "yO nityam achyuta-padAmbuja-yugma-rukma-vyA-mOhata:" ~~
which happens to be the opening verse of AzhvAn's
'Sri-vaikuNTha-stavam'. It is possible that the phrase
"jainEma-kanTheerava:" (in the 'dhATee-panchakam') is a specific
glorification of Ramanuja's prevailing over the horde of Jaina debaters
in Tondanur.

It is thus plausible that the 'dhATee-panchakam' could well have been
the tribute paid by AzhvAn to his AchArya, composed during his
separation from him, and being excited by reports of Ramanuja's
conquests in the 'foreign' territory of Hoysala.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja-dAsan
T.S. Sundara Rajan
at Srirangam.