From the Bhakti List Archives

• October 1, 2001

"2.  I understand that "Ladies" should not recite
 Vedham.  Is there any emperical reason for this ?"

I too have heard people saying this. However havent
come across anywhere in writing. Adeyen would request
the learned bhaktas to tell me *where is it said that
Ladies should not recite Vedham?*
In my humble opinion (please feel free to disagree)
The following points conflicts this
We are aware of one of the meaning for "Purushaha"
which simply means the one who is residing in a city
(pura) named sharira(body). Which means all of us
(including ladies) are purushahas.

Also we know another interpretation that Sriman
Narayana alone is purusha and rest of the creation are
female. Which means none of us are purushas :)

I'm almost sure that this all those who have interest
and dedication for learining vedas are eligible
irrespective of caste, gender or religion. However
expert's comments are needed here
dAsan
Srivatsa

http://phone.yahoo.com