Re: is there one truth?

From the Bhakti List Archives

• September 30, 2001

sri:

Dear Shree Damodara Swarup,

Here is what I found in the pramanas.

Logic and Heart:
---
1.) Philosophical Principles are beyond logic and the human heart. This is
evident from the following pramana;

"When all the desires of the heart harbours are gone, man becomes immortal
and reaches the brahmman here" (From the Katha Upanishad as quoted by Sri
Mysore Hiriyanna)

Atma Shakshatkaram is one of the goals for a jiiva. Here the heart is
different from the jiiva.

Using Logic to Understand Philosophical Principles
---

Philosophical principles are not just in the domain of scholarly
investigation, but they are beyond logic. Tarka plays an important role in
understanding the pramana, but definitley, philosophical principles are
beyond tarka, as again evident in the following pramana.
"Naisha Tarkena Matirapaneya -Logic does not determine philosophical
truths - which are beyond the the realm of senses" Katopanisad

Hope this helps.

Adiyen,

Malolan Cadambi