RE: thiruppaavai verse 2 clarification

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 19, 1998

Sri:

Dear Sri Mani,

This is what I understood and had read/heard before on this pAsuram of
Thiurppaavai.

Verse 2 : explains the 'anukoolyasya sankalpam' (doing that which pleases
the Lord) and 'pratikoolyasya varjanam' (not doing and avoiding that which
displeases the Lord).

anukoolyasya sankalpam in this verse is referred in the words aadi, paadi,
neeraadi, aiyam ittu, picchai ittu, ugandhu, etc...
and those to be avoided are as Pratikoolyasya varjanam are neyyuNNOm, paal
uNNOm, maiittu
yezhudhOm, malarittu naam mudiyOm, seyyaadhana seyyOm, theekkuRaLai senRu
OdhOm

Once, in an upanyaasam, Sri KrishnaprEmi referred to these words as: aiyamum
is dedication to Bhagawaan or offering to the Lord (Bhagavadh arpaNam);
picchai is dedication to BhAgawathAs and guests (athithees); aandhanaiyum
kaikaatti is to the best of our ability; uyyumaaReNNi is ' bhara samarpanam'
and ugandhu refers " MahaViswaasam''.

I am sure there are mistakes in them. Scholars and learned erudite
bhAgawathAs like Sri Anbil Swamy, Sri SadagOpan may correct/supplement with
lovely, rich better explanations.

Regards

Narayana dAsan