Re: bhakti mail

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 28, 1997

+                           SrI:
+                  SrI SrInivAsa parabrahmaNe nama:
+ aazhvaar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam; emberumaanaar thiruvadigaLE SaraNam
	Sri Adhivansatakopa Yatindra MahAdesikAya Namaha.

Dear Bhagavathal:

recited at home during Anadhyayana KAlam.   This period is,  according to
most  tradition, starts on the Kritthika Poornima day and extends up to
Thi Pushyam.(This could last at the most till Feb 15th, beginning of
Tamil MAsi month) Even during this period, exceptions are Tiruppalliezhucchi
and Tiruppavai.  In temples Tiruppallandu sEvai during SAttumurai
will not be performed while Anadhyayana kAlam extends.

Tradition has it that Tirumanagai mannan  moved Nammalvar
Utsava moorti from Azhvar Tirunagiri to Sri Rangam and performed
Utsavam to the inclusion of Prabhanda PArAyanam  in Sri Rangam temple.
This usually commenced on Suklapaksha Ekadasi, which is
the Vaikunta Ekadasi day,  and this is usually called IrAppattu.
Subsequently Alvandar started pahal pattu starting from Suklapaksha
Prathamai such that all 4000 paasurams are rendered over the 20 day
period and on the 21st day chant Iyarppa Ayiram as munnadi and
pinnadi.  Following this tradition, Tiruadhyayanotsavam is performed
in all tradition-bound Vishnu temples starting from Suklapaksha Pratha
ma.  It is much more known to the genral public as IrAppatu-Pahal pattu Utsavam.

This year Suklapkasha Prathamai falls on Dec 30th.  Also, the traditional
VAkya panchangam (so called Paambu panchangam in Tamil), lists
Tiru adyayana Utsavam starts on Dec. 30th 1997 in Srivilliputtur, Sri Rangam,
Tirukkoshttiyur and other Vishnu Sthalams.

In the "Tiru Allikkeni Sri Parthasarathy Swami Devastthana Veda Adhyapaka
Goshti Special Bulletin", (page 44), describes how Tiru Adhyayanotsavam
is celebrated in Tirumala in an article titled "Tirumalaiyum and Sri Vaishana
va Sampradaya Neriyum".  Only following the  tradition that I knew back home
as well as what is listed as Sampradayam in Tirumala, we have decided on
this program.

I request others more about Tiru Adhyayanotsavam or about different
traditions,  I would be happy to know.

Dasan

Raghavan