You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : November 1997

Amalan AdipirAn

From: R. Skrintha (srik_at_iiap.ernet.in)
Date: Mon Nov 17 1997 - 11:36:28 PST

Dear BhagavathALs,

I thank Sri Sadagopan for his lucid commentary on the impersonal use of
"kangaL" in Sri ThiruppAn's famous lines:

  "--arangan en amudanaik
    kaNDa kaNkaL maRRonRinaik kaaNaave."

If it intrests, a similar statement is attributed to a famous Tibetan
Buddhist mystic Mila Repa. He suffered great bodily pains at some time &
was asked if he felt the pain, to which he replied: "there is pain
but I don't feel it". I think in the state of heightened Atmic awareness
such as that in which Sri ThiruppAn was immersed, worldly consciousness
becomes dim, and altho a vague awareness of the external world might be
retained, it is without a concretized ego-center witnessing the said world!

Hari Om,
srikanth