You are here: Sri Vaishnava Home Page : Bhakti List : Archives : November 1997

Sri T.R .Govindarajan's observations

From: V. Sadagopan (75041.3037_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 19:06:42 PST

I agree with Sri T.R.Govindarajan's observation  .
Sunrise and sunset are crucial points in time for
calculation of the Yogam , thithi , kaalam , kuLikai,
Yama kandam , selection of times free of dhOsham
for observance of subha kaaryams et al . All tie together
in our sampradhAyam with the Sunrise and sunset .
SandhyA Vandhanam done here connects to sunrise
here or wherever we are , be in Europe or Japan .

Regarding NirdhOsha kaalams , it is generally coceded
that there is no thithi dhOsham at dawn , no nakshathra
dhOsham during Abhijhit mUhUrtham ( Between 12and half to
fifteen naazhikai ) , no lagna dhOsham during sunset
and no vaara dhOsham during night .

GrahaNa tarpaNam is done on occasions of GrahaNam ,
which some times is seen in India and some times here
only .

Thus , it apppears logical to fit into the local time
and geographic parameters in defining our nithya,
Naimmitthika karmAs .

V.Sadagopan