From the Bhakti List Archives

From:	INTERNET:Shakthi@aol.com, INTERNET:Shakthi@aol.com
TO:	(unknown), INTERNET:PRAPATTI@SRIRANGAM.ESD.SGI.COM
DATE:	11/4/95 2:13 PM

RE:	upanayanam

Sender: shakthi@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 14:04:59 -0500
To: prapatti@srirangam.esd.sgi.com
Subject: upanayanam

I would like to know the significance of upanayanam. i am told by my parents
that we should do the upanayam for our boys   even if they dont belive in
this  we should do our' Duty' as parents .i dont understand this.Also why
does one has to have upanayam just before getting married if that person does
not believe in upanayanam or sandhyavandana m in the first place?