Re: kamba rAmAyanam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 18, 2002

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Dear Sri Padmanabhan,
What Sri Malon Kidambi said was absolutely right. Rudra is one of the
foremost devotees of Sriman Naarayana. Which means Rudra worships Lord
Sriman Narayana. My guess is that you have overlooked his statements. He
also says that the anya devatas are highly respected, but he never said that
they are worshipped. These two are completely different.

In fact I have another point which cannot be(I guess) denied by any one. If
we worship Shri Ramanujar, Shri Manavala Maamunigal and Shri Desikan then
there is nothing wrong in worshipping Shiva who is also a great Vaishnava.
If one says he just respects the acharyas then he could also respect Shiva.
The Vaishnava point is that the supreme is more prominent or likes to be
addressed himself as Shri Maha Vishnu or Para-Vasudevan or Shriman Narayanan
 We have to stick to only one form and at the same time we should go by
vedas. Since it has been justified by great acharyas that the vedas say that
Shriman Narayana is the right word to describe the paramatma, and the
form(with 4 hands, holding changu, chakkaram etc) is his form we worship
that form. Please do remember that a true vaishnava who realises the
Vichistadvaita philosophy sees god in everyone. The bottom-line is worship
the paramatma. And the form he likes the most is of the Para-Vasudevan, the
place he stays in the form is Shri Vaikuntha and the name he likes the most
is Shriman Narayanan. This has been justified by our acharyas. Anyways, I
don't want to deviate from the subject, because this would lead to lots of
arguments. I agree that Shri Vaishnavites stand point is to worship only
Shriman Narayana and 'Mattrumor deivamunde madhiyila manidangal' is
absolutely true. But, it all depends on the level from which we see or
realize the ultimate. People like our great acharyas can see that i.e they
don't actually distinguish between the different forms of the ultimate. Shri
Ramanujar stood outside the Siva temple only to prove to people that he
sticks to one and only one great form of the lord. He did not disrespect
Siva nor did he say worshipping siva is wrong:) But, us the normal jivatmas
should stick only to one form i.e the Shriman Narayana form and this is
according to the vedas.

Sri Malolan Kidambi has been one of those contributors who is a valuable
Shri Vaishnavite this list has got(of-course you too) and we should try to
keep our comments to minimum level i.e please send these comments to the
individual person instead of the group. Any member of the group who reads
the mail would completely mis-understand where Shri Kidambi is coming from.
All that I request is that please don't over-look. I know overlooking
happens in many of our cases, but by sending the mail just to the mail
originator, we can avoid confusion and wrong impressions about people.
I meant no offense and please accept my apologies in case I've hurt you.
Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan