Re: Kaisika Puranam/Natakam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 17, 2002

Prof Ramanujam (who had been with the South Zone Culture Centre and is now
with the Tamil University at Thanjavur) had been kind enough to visit me 3
years back in Srirangam, and we discussed the primary preparations to make
for establishing meaningful theatre of 'kAiSika purANam' which would
authentically reflect the tradition and yet be more enriched and very
different from the sorry stuff 'presented' by the illiterate persons who
have been with it at tiru-k-kuRun-kuDi, heaven knows for how many
generations.   (In to-day's Tamil Nadu, illiteracy obdurate becomes sacred,
and boisterous illiteracy earns a State award !)

The professor struck me as highly committed to the cause.

I had the good fortune last night (kAiSika-EkAdaSee, November 16 Saturday)
to meet Sri Tirunarayana Aiyangar svami (who is the Sri-kAryam) of
tiru-k-kuRun-kuDi jeeyar svami maTham, at the commencement of araiyar-sEvai
on tk tiru-vAi-mozhi "ennganEyo annaimeer-kAL" in the audience of
namperumAL. When I protested that his visit to Srirangam was too brief for
my spiritual gains, he said he had to get back rightaway to be with the
rehearsal for staging of the kAiSika-purANam  in different places.

It has already been pointed out that the SrirAmAyaNa reference to 'kAiSikam'
is found in sundara-kANDam.

[1:174]  *sEvitE vAri-dhArAbhi: pataGaiS-cha nishEvitE, charitE
kaiSikAchAryai: airAvata nishEvitE*

Two of Sri-rAmAyaNa commentators, Govindaraja and Ramanuja (?), explain
"kAiSikAchAryA:" as the celestial vidyAdharas like tumburu who are masters
of the rare melody (rAGa-viSEsha:) known as 'kAiSikam'.   [The succeeding
epithet "AirAvata-nishEvitE" does not have to do with Indra's famed albino
elephant.   The phrase paints a rainbow ~~ AirAvatam ~~ across the skies
which Hanuman was traversing.]