Re: Few questions

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 12, 2002

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Dear Shri Vaishnavas,

Dear Moderator, If this mail is of no use, please feel free to disregard the
same.

I was going through the first 100 messages in this list and was going
through the excellent mails that Shri Mani, Shri Sudarshan Iyengar and Shri
Krishna Kalale had written in reply to Shri Vidhyashankar's mails. This
subject was discussed in the same i.e the nirguna and satguna. I was just
thinking a lot on the same and came up with few thoughts which I would like
to share and would request the respected Shri Vaishnavas to validate.

Premise - Nirguna - No Guna & Saguna - Innumerous Gunas.

The approach I am going to take is probably math based. Hope I am not
confusing. I put forth the same argument to couple of my friends too. Please
be patient to read and read it carefully.

Let us assume that a Person P says that he MAY have some money in his house
and asks a person V to go and find out how much he has. V comes back and
says  that he was not able to count the money in P's house.

Based on V's reply, if we were asked a question that how much money does P
have. We may have two answers.
1. P has so much money that V was not able to count. - Note: This is the
limitation of V i.e P has so much money but V is not able to count.
2. P has no money and hence V was not able to count (you can't count
something that is not there). Here, limitation is applied on P i.e P has no
money and hence V is not able to count.

So there is an ambiguity i.e we cannot decide anything based on this.

Assume that P is the paramatma and V is the veda. We are the jivatmas trying
to interpret the vedas. Vedas say that paramatma's gunams are not countable.
Should we take it as Nirguna or Saguna?
In this case, we can make a decision. How?
Let us examine the above two cases again with P as the paramatma and V as
the vedas.
Case 1: Paramatma has so many gunas(Saguna) that the Vedas are not able to
count - limitation of vedas.
Case 2: Paramatma has no gunas(Nirguna) and hence Vedas are not able to
count - limitation of the paramatma.

Now, the decision is in our hands. Which one would we choose? Should we say
paramatma is saguna i.e with all the kalyana gunas and accept that it is our
limitation that we are not able to count it? Or Should we apply the
limitation to the paramatma, who is called as the sarva-vyapi,
sarva-shakthan etc and say he has no guna?

Option 1(saguna) seems logical to most of us and that is what is declared by
Shri Ramanuja. While advaitins generally argue that the brahmam has no gunas
based on the vedic scripts, Shri Ramanujar argues that it should interpreted
as Saguna which makes more sense.

Shri Ramanujar has proved that, purely based on LOGIC, that the vedic
scriptures should mean only SAGUNA(akila heya pratyanika kalyanaika dhanaha)
and not NIRGUNA. He doesn't need any special explanation at all for this. No
wonder he is the Adiseshan by himself that he could come up with such a
fantastic explanation of vedic scripts (while our modern mathematics still
struggle with the concept of Zero and Infinity).

He claims that whenever the vedas say the paramatma is nirguna, in that
context, it should be interpreted that paramatman is beyond the three gunas
rajas, thamas and satvam. And this is applicable only in this context. At
all other places, it has been proved that paramatman has Saguna (I don't
have the knowledge to quote all those places and I apologize for the same).

I hope this wasn't a stupid explanation. My apologies in case of mistakes
and if I had wasted any of your precious time!

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan.