Re: Idol worship and Vedas???

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 7, 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pradeep Janakiraman"

> At a more unified theory level, non-controversial people would say
> that "Nirgunam" and "Sagunam" are like the 2-sides of a paper. Just
> as the paper definitely has 2-sides and appears based on which side
> and how we look at it, Lord also is both "Nirgunam" (wihtout Rajas,
> and Tamas gunas) and yet "Sagunam" posessing Ananta-Kalyaana-Gunams.

The only cavaet is, the very basis of "nirvishEshatvam" and the nirguna
bhavam of the brahman is baseless. This is against the vedAs. The Brahman is
full of Kalyana Gunams. This has been established by the entire prasthAna
traya. With the moderator's note, we can discuss the pro-s and con-s of this
issue at length.

The basis for divya-mangala-vigraham has been established in the Kalpa
Sutrams which are an inseprable component of the VedAs. It is interesting to
note that Dayananda Saraswathi has not at all commented on this all
important component. The Arya Samaj movement was a reaction against the
Victorian mindset of those ages.

The same issue of Idol worship was discussed in this list sometime back. You
can go through the following links:

1.) http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/may2002/0022.html
2.) http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/may2002/0025.html
3.) http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/may2002/0036.html
4.) http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/may2002/0041.html

I thank Dr Ute Huesken of Germany whose scholarship on the agamAs and the
kalpa sutrAs is highly lauable.

The pAncharAtra Agama is a EkAyana Shaka. It *has* to be treated on pAr with
the vedAs. And so is the VaikhAnasa Agama, about which we had a very good
discussion a few days back.

-Regards,

Malolan Cadambi