Re: kamba rAmAyanam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 7, 2002

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

Dear BhAgavatas,

A quick look at the vyakhyanam by Sri Periyavaccan
Pillai for Thiruppallandu shows that there is no
mention of Selva Nambi being the acharya of Periyazhvar.
I would venture to guess that if he was, there would
have been an explicit mention of that in the vyakhyanam.

Since the issue of Selva Nambi came about because of
the question whether Azhvars have sung about men in
their pasurams, let me add a little to the issue.

In the Thirupallandu, Periyazhvar does mention about
Selva Nambi, but only in the context of mentioning his
high bhaagavata nature - that is, he is mentioned for
the sake of comparison only (selvanaip pOla - like Selva
Nambi).

Periyazhvar also talks about a Pandiya king later, in
the Senniyongu pasuram, where he says "paruppathaththu
kayal poRiththa pANdiyar kulapathi pOl". But again,
Azhvar is using the example of the Pandiya king for
comparison. Just as the Pandiya king put his fish
symbol atop the Meru mountain, so too You have put
your divine feet on my forehead.

Thirumangai Azhvar seems to have praised Pallava, Chola,
and Pandiya kings in his pasurams. However, Azhvar does
not praise them as great kings, lords, courageous
victors, etc. Instead his praise for them is reserved
for their bhAgavata deeds, such as one who surrendered
at His feet or one who built a great temple for the Lord,
etc.

This is likely the major difference between Kamban
and the Azhvars. While some of the azhvars praise
kings for their noble deeds in His service, Kamban
seems to have praised someone who was his patron.

This is in no way meant as a judgement passed on
Kamban, but only an observation. The two works of
Kamba Ramayanam and SathakOpar Anthathi alone are
sufficient to show the greatness of Kamban.

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
TCA Venkatesan

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2