Re: avatAras of rAmAnuja etc.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 29, 2001

"TV Venkatesh/FXSLF/SEC/SANMAR"  wrote:

>Sri rAmAnujA was NOT THE FINAL avatAra of Sri Ananthan. As is known to
>everybody in the world, the final avatAra of Sri Ananthan is the
>re-incarnation of Sri rAmAnujA himself as Sri maNavALa mAmunigaL. Recent
>articles posted by Sri T.A. Varadhan, based on the yathIndra pravaNa
>prabhAvam, of Sri piLLai lOkam jeeyar, the most authoritative biographies
>of swAmy maNavALa mAmunigaL, confirms this world renowned fact.

Sri Venkatesh and others with similar passionate dispositions:
adiyEn thinks it is unwise to get into kalai-specific anubhavams
about who represents the punar-avatAram of udayavar etc.  Just
so you know, SriRangaRamanuja mahAdesikan (kOzhiyAlam swAmi) was
hailed as abhinava rAmAnuja during his time in bhoolokam during
the last century.  Overlapping claims to udayavar's legacy abound,
and before asserting one's feelings so strongly one should stop
to think where the discussion is leading towards.  This is not to
dispute any particular tradition but an attempt to show equal
respect to all without making mutually exclusive claims.  We must
understand that even though there is AchArya paramparai which
attests to certain punar-avathArams, those kalakshepam traditions
are not unformly accepted across SriVaishnavam and therefore we
must approach such controversial subjects with great caution.

Truly,
-Srinath C.