Re: CLARIFY ME PLEASE

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 26, 2001

Learned members of the group: I would like to request
you to post your answers on this question to the whole
of the group for the benefit of all of us. I was
planning on posting a similar question to the mailing
list.

1) There are various satsang groups (not
SriVaishnavite satsang groups) that sing Siva bajans
in addition to Krishna, Raama etc.. Many of us are
associated with such groups due to our physical
proximity to such groups and also due to the various
good social service activities that these groups are
involved with. I seek advice from learned members of
this bhati list to kindly guide us on this issue as to
what position we should be taking.

2) Sri Vishnu Sahasranama has a quite a few references
to the nama 'Siva'. But Sri Vishnu Sahasranama is
recited in all our temples (I mean - Perumal temples).

Having said that, I know staunch Sri Vaishnavites does
not visit any Siva or Ambal temples. ('Sriman Narayana
is the only God that we should surrender to and we
dont and shouldnt do that to any demi-Gods' - this
probably will be the reason given by a SriVaishnavite
on this). Even during the times of Emberumanar, we
have heard to the incident where in Koorathalvar would
not accept the supremacy of Siva even after his eyes
were goughed.

Can someone explain the discrepancy here (if there
really is any)?

Apologies for any unintended mistakes in the
questions.

Thanks a lot,

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan

Murali Sadagopan Seshadri