Re: Non-Brahmin origin of some Iyengars?

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 22, 2001

Dear Bhagavathas,

I am in just catching up with the postings, so please forgive me for bringing
up old topics.

Ashegan Shastri wrote:

> Sri:
> srimathE gopaladesika mahadesikaya namah:
>
> Dear all,
> I'm new to this thread and would appreciate your help
> with regard to a freshman sociology college paper I
> have to complete on ethno-cultural homogeneity in a
> specific community, in this case, Sri Vaisnava
> Iyengars.
>
> My question is whether there is historical basis to
> the popular belief that there are some Iyengars who
> have non-Brahmin origins in the distant past. I have
> come across this in various texts and forums and would
> like to know your learned opinions. It is claimed that
> Sri Ramanujacharya converted certain of the
> non-Brahmin communities to being Brahmin Iyengars......

Sri Shastri,

Sri Varadhan, Sri Venkatesh, and others have already provided us with
first-hand and lucid insight into Sri Ramanuja's magnanimous ways for uniting
people from many communities under the banner of SriVaishnavam without
foregoing on Vedic injunctions regarding caste.  For a somewhat more academic
understanding, you may wish to peruse G. Lakshamma's work, "The Impact of
Ramanuja's Teaching on Life and Conditions in Society."  The book examines
Sri Ramanuja's life and teachings more from the perspective of a sociologist
and historical anthropologist to provide an interesting perspective on how
the ideals of Ramanuja darshanam were put into practical application in
unifying people under a common vision.

The book is available from South Asia Books in Columbia, Missouri.

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Mohan