RE: Srimad Bhagawatam/ Gita

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 22, 2001

Dear Sri B.S. / Members,

Here is my limited understanding.

Srimad Ramayana by Sage Valmiki and Mahabharatha by Sage Vyasa are not
classified as Puranas. They are considered ithihAsAs or great epics. As
regards Sri Bhagavad Gita, it is part of Mahabharatha - and represents the
most enlightening conversation between Lord Sri Krishna and Arjuna.

There are 18 major Puranas, and among them, Vishnu, Varaha, Vamana, Matsya,
Kurma, Srimad Bhagavatha and Garuda Puranas are considered relevant to Sri
Vaishnavam/VisistAdvaitam.

Sri Vishnu Purana is by Sage Parasara, (Vyasa's father). Srimad Bhagavada
Purana is often simply known as Srimad Bhagavatam and is by Vyasa.

18 Puranas:

1. Vishnu Purana
2. Varaha Purana
3. Vamana Purana