Re: [SriRangaSri] Vegetarianism - Plants have life too. (Seek Answers)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 19, 2001

--- In bhakti-list@y..., "Varadakrishna"  wrote:
> Another interesting way to look at this is to refer to the sloka in
the
> Bhagavat Gita where Lord Sri Krishna declares that He would accept
patram,
> pushpam, phalam ...
>
> This resolves the issue at one level If we are to take only
prasadam - what
> is first offered with devotion and love to the Lord, we can only
eat what
> the Lord accepts So, patram, pushpam, phalam  ie vegetarian items
is what is
> permitted

Dear Varadakrishna,

You are correct that the vegetarian lifestyle is recommended and
highly preferred for a Vaishnava. However, when Lord Krishna
tells us that he will accept even 'patram pushpam, phalam, toyam'
(a leaf, a flower, a fruit, or some water) as offering, it has
no bearing on vegetarianism. Lord Krishna seeks to impress upon
us how easy it is to worship him -- one need not go to great
efforts as required by mundane endeavors or other deities, nor
does one need to be of high status, high birth, or of great wealth.
He is pleased by the love that is in the heart, and not by the
immensity of the offering.  For is He not described as 'satyakAma',
one whose desires are immediately satisfied by His own will?
If so, he needs nothing material from us.

To compare, I urge you to peruse Tiruvaymoli 1.6 -- parivadil
Isanai paadi -- with the beautiful commentaries that form
the Bhagavad Visayam.  This aspect of the Lord's teaching of
the Gita is fully mirrored in this set of ten verses.

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,