Re: [srivenugopala] Srimath Azhagiya Singar's approaching 75th Birthday completion celebration (Nov 26): Vedic Reflections NavAham (Nine days of salutation based on the Seventh canto Manthrams

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 12, 2001

Dear Sri Sadagopan Avl,

   Though adiyen had some hesitation while sending the remarks, adiyen was
relieved that they were all accepted kindly by you, except for one guna
Aghatitha ghatanA samarthya. I was a bit taken back. I made a survey of
that Tiruvaimozhi VI-3 dasakam vyakhyanams, in this context and then
SriRangarajastava of Sri Parasara Bhattar. In the vyakhyanam I found the
word Aghatithaghatana used twice in the arayirappadi and in
dramidopanishattatparyaratnavali quotation. There was no reference to
Narasimhavataram or any other avataram but only reference to God's
sarvavyapakatvam "antarAtmataya sarveshu vastushu vyaptha:". His own
declaration in Geeta " na tadasti vinA yatsyaat mayA bhootam charAcharam".
 On account of His Vishnutvam, God is in everything concrete and abstract
He created, and in that line, He is in all types of things from one end of
the spectrum of creation to the other end, opposites included. This does not
come as a big surprise or capability to my mind. That is it is taken for
granted. But for devotees like Parasara Bhattar, the slokas dealing with
Narasimhavataram viz.,

NakhAgragrastepi dvishati ....tanu:
Viruddhe Vaiyyagree sughatitha samanadhikarane
nrisimhatve bibhradvarada bibharAmAsitha jagat.

where Bhattar eulogises the beautiful combination of previously uncombined
lion head and human trunk.

NriharidasayO:pashyannoutpattikam ghatanAdbhutham
naram uta harim drishtvaikaikam samudvijate jana:
Iti kila sitaa ksheera nyAyEna sangamithangakam
sphuta satA mahA damshtram rangEndrasimham upAsmahE

(both in Uttarasatakam)

where SriBhattar says that in narasimhavatAram after seeing lion head and
human body combined like sugar and milk people hate to see any other form
individually.
  So adiyen had this in mind when I wrote about aghatita ghatana. Since
You were also describing the 12 gunas with respect Malolan only, I thought
that my remarks would be relevant more to Narasimhar than to "Nalkuravum
Shelvum  " etc.
    However , though there are two distinct meanings for aghatitha ghatana
a) happening of unprecedented events and b) combination of things that
previously were never combined, I find that the latter meaning is
generally used by Acharyas.

With regards
Adiyen dasan
Ramanuja